Friday, February 10, 2012

34 days

Life is never simple.  You go along thinking things will remain pretty much the same.  You awaken at generally the same time each morning.  The tasks you do are relatively similar day to day: you take the dogs outside, shower, have breakfast, drive to the train.  There is a rhythm to life, a rhythm which sometimes seems humdrum.  You always hear people talking about wanting to break out of the everyday, not realizing that in some ways such a rhythm is life affirming.  Such a rhythm appears to be permanent, like a possession you can hang on to, but then something profound happens which folds up that rhythm and throws it away.

Today, 10 February 2012, is the twelfth anniversary of the day, 10 February 2000, on which my father was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer; he died exactly 34 days later.  Each year in February I begin to think about those thirty-four days.  For me February and March are now the cruelest months because those 34 four days intersect them.  I find myself imagining what I would have done differently if someone had said to me on that February day, "in thirty-four days your dad will disappear and you will never see him again".  Even though we did not realize it, those 34 days were spent trying to recapture that rhythm.

On television shows about doctors and hospitals, the doctors always seem able to tell their patients exactly how much time they have left.  In life as a television show they say, "You've got 34 days", and then the patient embarks on a life affirming journey which ends in a sad yet beautiful way, but real life is just not like that.  The oncologist didn't have a crystal ball; there were no predictions about how much time was left, no inspirational speeches, just a sort of resignation.  An explanation of what could be done was offered, radiation, chemotherapy, maybe some surgery, but it would all be to no avail.  I remember the oddest things about that appointment, in that strange little room, at the cancer centre.  I remember the tiny blue ink stain on the pocket of the doctor's lab coat, the way in which he stood so near to the door, as though he might run away from giving this diagnosis, the unpleasant shade of green on the walls, and the odd sort of octagonal shape to the room, like a stop sign.

I wonder if my father believed it when he was told this was the end of his life.  I thought I saw it in his face that day, as I sat across from him in the oncologist's little room.  He had a look in his eyes, a look which was the recognition of an absolute certainty, as though the long awaited answer to a question had been given, and he completely understood that answer.

We spent that 34 days in search of the ordinary, but the unusual kept creeping in, no matter how much we tried to push it away.  People came to the house to visit, people we hadn't seen in years, a long line of goodbyes and empty platitudes. There was a long list of phone calls to be made, always starting with an apology, "I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad news", always feeling angry that I was the one chosen to utter those words, "Dad has terminal cancer".  The recipients of the news on the other end of that phone line always seemed determined to say, "don't worry Jenn, he'll be okay; he'll be better before you know it."  I remember losing my temper with an uncle when he uttered those words to me, losing my temper and shouting into the phone, and wishing desperately for a return to that place, the place with the rhythm of the ordinary.

34 days: Sleeping at my parents' home in my old bedroom, waking each morning, and hoping it had all been a bad dream.
34 days: Shopping for the softest sheets, 350 thread count Egyptian cotton, as though somehow more comfort would take Dad's cancer away.
34 days: Talking to friends and family who did not understand our plight.
34 days: Listening to the whir of the oxygen machine.

34 days: Searching for the rhythm of life, and longing for its return.


(Originally posted 10 February 2011)
Copyright©irisheyesjg2012.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, beautiful post. I'm so sorry for your loss - losing my dad was the hardest thing I've ever had to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the sorrow of a loss never goes away. Sometimes we never stop missing a loved one. I'm sorry for your loss, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn, I feel for you, my Dad died aged 62 on 20 March 2000 of cancer. We had known for 3 years that his condition was no longer treatable. I still feel like he was stolen from me, even though I knew he was on "borrowed time". 34 days seems so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Debi, and Hello Nancy,

    Thank you to each one of you for your thoughtful comments. No matter how long we are away from the time of loss, ithe memory of it never lessens, and at certain times it is as though the loss is fresh. At times I find I can no longer remember my father's face, and although I can look at photographs, remembering days, such as his last days brings him back to me.

    Cheers to each one of you,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo,

    Your comment appeared as I was writing a reply to Debi and Nancy. I am so sorry for your loss, and will keep you in mind as our March anniversaries come near.

    Cheers to you,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are always deeply appreciated; however, in the spirit of true collegiality, I ask that you do not write something you would not say to me in person.

There is a proliferation of SPAM on this blog, so unfortunately comments moderation must be in operation for posts older than two days.

Any comments that are mean-spirited, include URLs which are not connected to the post topic, contain misinformation, or in any way resemble advertising, will be removed. Anonymous comments which do not bear the name of the person commenting within the body of the comment, or are clearly generated from fake Google or Blogger accounts, will also be deleted.

Cheers, Jennifer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...