Monday, January 10, 2011

Mappy Monday: Making use of a lesson learned

On Wednesday 5 January 2011, I was one of many who 'attended' Thomas MacEntee's excellent webinar "Google for Genealogists". The presentation was filled with solid advice for genealogists and family historians who want to make the best use of the 155 applications Google offers.

One of these applications is Google maps. For many years I have used Google Maps when travelling, and over the years as I began to document the history of my family, I created maps to guide me to the various places in which family members were born, lived, died, and are buried in Ireland. I have emailed maps to others and printed out maps; however, I have not yet used such a map in any blog postings.

In his presentation Thomas demonstrated the use of such a map. If you wish to include a map in a blog post, after you have created your map in Google Maps, you will see on the left side of the map page the icon for the link possibility. If you click on this link icon you will see the HTML code you will need in order to post your personal map. You can also customize the map size.

So...Thank You Thomas MacEntee for this suggestion and many more, and here on Mappy Monday is the first of many family tree related "Google Maps" for this blog. If you click on the blue markers each one bears a description of the significance of the place on the map. For the best overall view, click on the link to view the larger version.

View 'On a flesh and bone foundation': An Irish History: Mapping out family history in a larger map


©Copyright J. Geraghty-Gorman 2011.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out and I am so happy to see you put the Google Maps lesson to good use! I have a step-by-step process of how to create a "My Map" under Google Maps and embed it in a blog post or website here: http://fbbootcamp.blogspot.com/2009/01/google-maps-and-carnival-posts.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. Now I have to add maps to my list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are always deeply appreciated; however, in the spirit of true collegiality, I ask that you do not write something you would not say to me in person.

There is a proliferation of SPAM on this blog, so unfortunately comments moderation must be in operation for posts older than two days.

Any comments that are mean-spirited, include URLs which are not connected to the post topic, contain misinformation, or in any way resemble advertising, will be removed.

Cheers, Jennifer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...