- Ár dTeaghlach: Our Family
- Faces of Family History
- Interviewing Family
- Finding Irish Ancestors: Research Aids
- 'Orphans' List of 1847 - The Great Famine
- The Act of Union Black List 1800/1801
- Geographical & Political Designations
- Civil Registration Information & Districts
- 17 Tips + 1 for Family History/Genealogy Research in Ireland
- Latin Terms
- Tuesday's Tips
- Commissioning Research in Ireland
- About Me
- Copyright and Disclosures
Monday, November 15, 2010
Mystery Monday: A First Communion Portrait: who is this tiny boy?
This photograph was among the effects left by my Great-aunt Mary 'Mollie' Magee Halpin. It is thought to be one of the Geraghty children, my father or one of his brothers, but who? I have compared it to other photographs of my father around this time, and I cannot be sure that it is him because my dad does not appear to have had the same prominent ears as this little lad. Also, I have the First Communion portrait of my father's elder brother Patrick, so I know it is not him. Whoever it is, I think it is a sweet photo.
Mystery solved: This little boy is my father's brother Enda. Enda suffered from polio when he was a child, so the big boots (and an unseen crutch) enabled him to walk.
©Copyright J.Geraghty-Gorman 2010.