Monday, November 15, 2010

Mystery Monday: A First Communion Portrait: who is this tiny boy?


This photograph was among the effects left by my Great-aunt Mary 'Mollie' Magee Halpin. It is thought to be one of the Geraghty children, my father or one of his brothers, but who? I have compared it to other photographs of my father around this time, and I cannot be sure that it is him because my dad does not appear to have had the same prominent ears as this little lad. Also, I have the First Communion portrait of my father's elder brother Patrick, so I know it is not him. Whoever it is, I think it is a sweet photo.

Mystery solved: This little boy is my father's brother Enda. Enda suffered from polio when he was a child, so the big boots (and an unseen crutch) enabled him to walk.

©Copyright J.Geraghty-Gorman 2010.

4 comments:

  1. What a serious little face - and big boots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am taken back by his small stature, large boots, and short pants! I guess I was not aware that boys wore short pants past about 4 or 5 years of age. He sure does not look much older, 6, maybe 7?? Very interesting photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope you find out who he was - he is so appealing with his serious face, dressy clothes ... and those boots and ears!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are always deeply appreciated; however, in the spirit of true collegiality, I ask that you do not write something you would not say to me in person.

There is a proliferation of SPAM on this blog, so unfortunately comments moderation must be in operation for posts older than two days.

Any comments that are mean-spirited, include URLs which are not connected to the post topic, contain misinformation, or in any way resemble advertising, will be removed. Anonymous comments which do not bear the name of the person commenting within the body of the comment, or are clearly generated from fake Google or Blogger accounts, will also be deleted.

Cheers, Jennifer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...